WHAT DO WE DO?
Closer to Home Community Services (CTH) is a charitable organization located in Calgary that offers a wide range of services designed to meet the unique needs of children, youth and families.
Closer to Home’s mission is Empowering Families to Stay Together. This is the focus of everything we do. We envision a future where every child will belong to a family and feel valued and secure.
Through the use of evidence-based practices and innovative solutions, Closer to Home strives to preserve, reunify and build stronger families who can care for their children and contribute meaningfully in their community.
WHY DO WE DO IT?
We believe every child deserves to feel loved and have a safe place to call home.
Children, youth and families come to us for a variety of reasons. Sometimes parents are struggling to care for a child with a mental, physical, or emotional disability, or a child who has made choices that have led to an unhealthy lifestyle. Sometimes, parents face these issues themselves.
At Closer to Home, we know that being part of a resilient family is the foundation for a child’s health, safety and success. By building stronger families, Closer to Home reduces the strain on more costly social supports, and increases family independence and resourcefulness.
HOW DO WE DO IT?
Closer to Home offers a wide range of services to support children and their families. Located in Calgary and Airdrie, we offer:
- Family and Community Support: Early Intervention programs designed to prevent stress, crisis and family breakdown such as West Central Community Resource Centre, Critical Hours Programming, and K.I.D.S. program.
- Preservation: In-Home Family Support programs designed to assist families to recover from crisis or maltreatment and to preserve the family unit and build new positive skills for the future. These include CTH’s continuum of Indigenous-focused programs and the Family Matters program.
- Reunification: In-Care Programs that help care for and bring resolution to children and their families after experiencing severe challenges, when a family’s situation has grown dangerous, or beyond their ability to manage and social services is involved.
All of these services are free, however some programs can only be accessed through a community referral. Please contact Closer to Home for information about program referrals at (403) 543-0550.
WHAT ARE WE KNOWN FOR?
Using the Teaching-Family Model (an evidence-based, family-centred approach to the treatment of children, youth and dependent adults), Closer to Home is recognized as a leader amongst service providers in Calgary and throughout Canada.
As part of our Agency Development Services, Closer to Home consults internationally on the development and dissemination of the Teaching-Family Model in other organizations. Our goal is to see the Teaching-Family Model used more often throughout Canada and the world.
Looking towards the future, Closer to Home’s strategic goals are as follows:
- Expand organizational capacity to ensure that children and families have the services they need to successfully stay together.
- Build an evidence-based organization that exemplifies excellence and delivers outcomes that meet the needs of children, youth and families.
- Enhance the organization’s competence working within and from an Indigenous worldview.
HOW DO WE MEASURE SUCCESS?
Closer to Home has developed a sophisticated Evaluation and Outcome Framework to establish clear, measurable goals that ensure all of our programs meet the National Child Welfare Outcomes Indicators Matrix (NOM). Closer to Home is committed to providing evidence-based, quality services for children and families.
For more information please see our Report to the Community publications.
HOW ARE WE FUNDED?
Closer to Home receives its core funding through the support of Calgary and Area Child and Family Services and the City of Calgary’s Family and Community Support Services. We also receive some funding from the United Way of Calgary for Indigenous programs and Airdrie Family and Community Support Services for youth mental health programming. In addition, Closer to Home solicits and receives fundraising revenue from various government, foundation, individual, community and corporate funders.
We are grateful for our many donors who enable us to provide ongoing support for children and families so they can create new possibilities and achieve better futures together.
WHAT IS OUR CHARITABLE REGISTRATION NUMBER?
Closer to Home’s Charitable Registration number is 89823 5759 RR0001.
WHERE IS CLOSER TO HOME LOCATED?
Closer to Home is located at 3507A – 17 Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta. Our West Central Community Resource Centre is also located at this address.
Closer to Home Group Homes, Foster Homes, and Community Teaching Homes are operated throughout Calgary, Airdrie and surrounding areas.